November 22, 2007

This country is crazy!

This morning I dutifully got up, took a shower, ate breakfast and was out the door around 9:15 - all ready to hop on the bus and be off to my first class of the day. I arrived at the bus stop and noticed a sign that said "Note that due to a protest, this bus stop will not be serviced today". Puzzled, I read the note a few times to make sure I understood. Ah, I thought...must be leftover from Tuesday's strikes, there were some protests that day - they must have just forgotten to take down the sign. Wait, no...I took the bus Tuesday morning. There was no sign and service was normal. As I continued to puzzle over the sign I noticed a large stream of students steadily pouring out of the high school, making their way down the street towards me. As they passed I heard "we're on strike, we're going to protest, come with us!". Not only have railroad workers, members of the Paris Opera, college students and most public servants gone on strike over this past week - now high schoolers are too! Long story short - I missed the bus and couldn't go to class this morning - Happy Thanksgiving to me!

PS I here this isn't even the 'major' strike season...apparently that one comes in May...

No comments: