June 24, 2010

Leaving something you love

Today I had my first real taste of having to leave something I love because of Micronesia.

Tonight was my last Thursday night modern class; I class I've faithfully taken nearly every Thursday since last August. Over the course of the last 10 months I've gotten to know and dance with some of the most amazingly wonderful people. People who are infinitely encouraging, joyful, hilarious and supportive beyond measure. With the help of their awesome energy and an incredible teacher, I have grown as a dancer in ways I couldn't have imagined. As someone who's always loved dance, but didn't dive into it until late in life, it has been amazing to find a studio, a class and a teacher that together created the kind of environment in which I wanted to come back week after week to grow and learn and move - without ever feeling judged or inadequate. Thursdays have been the highlight of my week for most of the past year. I'm going to miss this incredible group of people terribly!

Despite the sadness of leaving my dance family, I still feel so good about Micronesia. It's that feeling in the face of tough things like leaving something I love that lets me know I'm making the right choice in embarking on this journey.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely Meghan, we're all so proud of you! We've all grown together in dance, in friendship, in laughter and happiness. I think I speak for everyone when I say that we are so happy to have danced with you, and know it's not the end! Have a wonderful adventure, and we'll see you when you come back! You'll always have a place in our dance class. Imagine the glow-in-the-dark underpants! <3 you!!!

Unknown said...

Meghan,
I've read a few of your posts with interest.
I'm an American living in Pohnpei (the state to the east of where you'll be). I've lived here over 9.5 years and love it here.
My daughter and grandkids live in North Seattle and go to Greenlake often so I feel a bond with you-even if it's only in my head!! LOL

I hope you're prepared for a lot of hard work and ready to roll with all the punches life will throw you living on a tropical island. Expect the unexpected and you won't be disappointed

Meghan said...

Hi, Imnpohnpei!

Thanks for commenting. How cool that we have the Seattle to Micronesia connection! I'll be in Chuuk, but am sure I'll make it over to Pohnpei sometime. I'm super excited to get started, and it's great to hear from someone who's gone through what I'm about to!