September 26, 2007

Quimper

Ok, so I'm officially at my new home-away-from-home in Quimper, France. I've been staying at a hostel for the past two nights, and only have two more to go before I get to move into my new French home (thank goodness). Not that the hostel's been bad, but it will be really nice to settle into my own space, finally. Quimper is the quintissential French town - super old, huge cathedral in the center, cobble stone streets everywhere, river running through the center of town crossed with footbridges that are covered in flowers. I will post pictures as soon as I'm settled into a more reliable internet connection, but trust me, it's pretty darn cute. Aside from that, it's been a little lonely around here. I don't exactly know ANYONE, and we can't be in the hostel between 11 and 5, so that leaves me to wander alone for hours on end. I had a few small breakdowns (one in front of the incredibly nice hostel front desk lady, much to my chagrin), but think I'm doing better now. There's an Austrian girl staying at the hostel who's going to teach too, so it's been nice to have at least one other person who sort of understands what I'm going through. The other English assistants should be getting here either tomorrow or Friday, so my friend base should be growing - S-L-O-W-L-Y but surely.
Quimper really is adorable though and all things considered, I'm glad to be here.

4 comments:

rachel garber said...

I can't wait to see pictures! Sounds absolutely marvelous. When you do the WWII stuff, email me and I'll give you tips. What kind of a breakdown? I hope I don't do the same thing!!

Laurel said...

I had a dream about you in France last night - it involved walking dogs, ice cream and cheesecake.

Charissa said...

I miss you! That is all I can really think to say right now.

Chelsea said...

ok first of all that picture of you is ADORABLE.

yay for me to come home and get to read about the start of your journey! i am sooooo excited for you, and cheery that you're being taken for french, i know that feeling ;)