September 15, 2007

4,897.82

That's how many miles away from Olympia, WA I will be this time next week. It'll probably actually be about 5,000 miles, seeing as I'll be in Paris this time next week. But when I do finally settle in to my new life à la française, it will be 4,897.82 (approx.) miles away from here.
I'm feeling a crazy mix of emotion at the thought of beginning this next chapter of my life. I'm ecstatic at the thought of going back to France, but if I think too much about the details of it all, it starts to terrify me a little. I can't wait to speak French again. I can't wait to eat fromage blanc, and crèpes à la nutella. I can't wait to see old friends. I can't wait to shop for my produce in an open air market. I can't wait to settle back into a slower pace of life. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable periods of homesickness, to feeling like an idiot when I can't find the right words in French, to spending my first Christmas away from home...
When it comes down to it though, I know without a doubt that it is my time to spread my little wings and move along to something new. I am blessed beyond belief that my something new is a year of living abroad in France. I mean, come on. Sometimes it's a little hard for me to believe that I'm actually doing this. Every now and again I just have to stop and convince myself that, yes, this IS my life.
Whatever the experience, I'm determned that it will bring perspective, growth, an increased sense of self-confidence and some kick-ass French skills.

2 comments:

rachel garber said...

Hooray for new adventures!! I am so excited for you!

Charissa said...

I had a small freak out when I forgot to call you on Monday! I am so sad I didn't get one more good bye. I love you so much Meghan! I will be praying for you and missing you lots. Make sure you blog lots!

Love you, Charissa